Monday, January 26, 2009

Expendable Maternal One

So this afternoon after putting Bailey down for her nap, I popped into H's room to help him get started with quiet time. He felt a strong need to put together a new train track so we decided to skip storytime and set him up.

While I was getting Bailey all set, Hayden was scouring the house for coaches. Apparantly this morning he decided that since Douglas is engine number 9, Douglas required 9 coaches. We have alot of trains at our house but 9 coaches sounded like I tall order to me so I suggested he consider drafting scrap and box cars to help out as well. This kept him running for a bit and by the time Bailey was in her crib he had nine "coaches" as well as a red caboose. Hooray!

So we set to work creating a track with multiple bridges and loops to keep things interesting. When all was complete, Hayden was most satisified and complimented me on my efforts. Hooray again! Then he abruptly informed me that I could stay and watch Douglas drive his coaches over the bridge and after that I had to leave right away. Huh? So I watched him chuff around and then as Douglas approached the first bridge Hayden looked up and said....

"You can go now Mommy, I am all done with you."

I will freely admit that I had lots of plans for myself during his quiet time so I was willing to scoot. However, I was fully expecting to scoot on my own terms not his. What a jolt for an apparantly expendable Mommy to take! We'll just see who he calls on if Douglas and his 8 bazillion coaches derail.....

No comments:

Post a Comment