Monday, January 26, 2009

A Potty Pro...Eventually

It was about this time last year that we began to more officially pursue a diaper free Hayden. That journey has certainly come with it's up and downs. Our biggest frustration has been that H just struggles to stop what he is doing and answer natures call. Ok, let's be honest -he's not struggling with it that much - we are!

So imagine how pleased I was when we were all puttering downstairs today on our own individual projects and I hear him taking care of business. I wandered in and asked what he was doing on the potty when I hadn't told him it was time to take a break. He matter of factly let me know that his body told him and so he went. HOOORAY!!!! This is a wonderful and uncommon gift from my boy. I told him I just might have to call Daddy and tell him how proud I was of Hayden's good choices. So I did this within earshot of my dear child to let him overhear me brag about his super duper choices and he was visibly pleased with the whole situation.

After quiet time I picked him up and he announced his desire to go downstairs but only after he went potty first. Ahhhh, the porcelain gods were smiling on us big time today! We talked more about how good he should feel inside about taking care of himself. He looked at me and said, "Mommy would this make Daddy smile and feel happy?"

I assured him that it indeed would and he said, "Would it make Daddy really happy - from his buffers to his funnel?" He repeated this while gesturing from his toes to his head to help me understand how his train example pertained to mere mortals. I laughed and agreed that it would indeed make Daddy that happy. It continues to amaze us how his passion for all things locomotive can permeate just about every facet of his existence.

And then just to keep the universe (or my perspective on it) in check, our attempts at quiet celebration failed since we woke poor Bailey up with our excited whispers. Drat!

No comments:

Post a Comment