Sunday, August 30, 2009

Out of the Mouth of Hayden...

Our young lad has been chock full o' thoughts to share lately. Here's a sampling:

This afternoon I sent both offspring to pick up their snack containers before I would relinquish any additional grub to their custody. I found Bailey' snack strewn all over the carpet -- not as shocking a sight as I wish it could have been, teehee. As soon as I got her started cleaning up this mess, she began to pluck it up with her little digits and pop the cereal pieces into her mouth. Naturally, I exclaimed (with much love) Bailey Boo whatever will we do with you!" Big Brother stepped right on over and said, "Mommy I know what we could do with Bailey. Let's give her to the circus and she can be 'Girl Eating Cereal off the Floor!" After just about busting a gut over this notion, I was left to wonder where Hayden picked up the carnival sidewshow naming knowledge he was so eager to share today. Oh well, perhaps we can give him to the circus too and he can be 'Boy with no Filter' willing to share opinions in exchange for cookies or cars with eyes....

Thursday morning H woke up especially chatty. He followed me everywhere talking nonstop of cars, trucks and their pivotal role in his existence. After a pause just long enough to breathe, he announced that he was getting TOO OLD to sleep with toys anymore. This nonchalant kiss goodbye to a young childhood habit gave me pause - - it's too soon! Then, he chattered on and explained that it was not comfortable to sleep with toys because he rolled into them and couldn't we make garages for each car and truck so that they had a good place to sleep where they would roll into eachother. After validating that idea I wandered over to the closet and conveniently had my back to him during this followup question... "Mommy is it like that for you?" I had know idea what topic we where on so I asked what he meant to which he replied "When you sleep with Daddy, is it uncomfortable when you roll into him?" I stuck with honesty and simply stated that sleeping with Daddy was not the same as sleeping with cars and trucks.

A week or so ago my folks came for a visit while my Dad had meetings in Louisville. The first evening, the kids didn't see Pa since he had meetings and a reception. The following morning Hayden asked about Pa when he got up and I explained that he had meetings to attend that day as well. H considered this for a moment and then asked in all sincerity, "Mommy, why does he have another meeting? Did he not do so well yesterday?"

Friday morning we had a birthday brunch with Hayden's buddy Charlotte. Homemade waffles were on the menu and I was talking this up to the kids on the way over since they are big waffle fans. So I announced to Hayden. "Guess what? Miss Jamison has a wafflemaker and we are going to have waffles!" Immediately he says "Who is it?". I clarified that the wafflemaker was a kitchen gadget and that Miss Jamison was going to make them. He got a little awestruck and eagerly inquired, "Does she work at Waffle House?" After I said no to this little query he added, "But could she?"

You just never know what that littly guy is thinking. But it sure is entertaining when he gives you a peek!

1 comment:

  1. I would not have recovered...the circus??!! that is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete